28 reasons Thanksgiving is the least sexy holiday
Thanksgiving has many wonderful things about it — most of them edible — but it does not include a boost to your sex life.
By Gena Kaufman
While I love, love, love Thanksgiving and the week of delicious leftovers after it, it has to be said: Thanksgiving is not sexy. In fact, it might be the least sexy holiday ever.
It's got none of the romance of Valentine's Day, it lacks the sex appeal of Halloween costumes, and it's much too cold for outdoor barbecues or pool parties.
More from Glamour: 10 turn-ons that aren't about looks
Here are just a few things that may contribute to a very unsexy celebration of thanks, whether you're spending it alone or with your guy:
1. Overcrowded airline travel.
2. Screaming babies on overcrowded airline travel.
3. Screaming babies at your grandma’s house.
4. The hangover you’re nursing after Thanksgiving Eve, the all-important night of judging your old high school friends at the local bar.
5. Being stuck in traffic.
6. The huge fight you get in while stuck in traffic.
7. Your mother.
8. His mother.
9. Your drunken aunt who can’t stop asking when you two are getting married already.
10. His drunken uncle with a wandering eye and penchant for dirty jokes.
11. Voluntarily sticking your hand into a turkey’s cavity.
12. Accidentally sticking your hand on a hot pan.
13. Or jamming a knife in your finger while slicing sweet potatoes.
14. Political, religious or assorted family drama at the dinner table.
15. Your sister's three loud kids who spill everything, everywhere. Loudly.
16. Turkey coma.
17. Tofurkey coma, if you’re vegetarian.
18. Pumpkin pie moustache (OK, that's not a real thing but it could be).
19. The way you both unbutton your jeans to make room for seconds.
20. Painful indigestion for the rest of the night.
21. Washing 4,000 dirty dishes and grimy pots.
22. The hideous sweater he wore because his mom bought it for him.
23. The matching footie pajamas your mom bought for the whole family to sleep in.
24. Separate rooms when you’re under your parents' roof.
25. The fear of overhearing your parents having sex.
26. The possibility of running into your high school boyfriend while sporting sweats, gravy stains and a greasy ponytail on Black Friday.
27. The possibility that your mom will find out that you made out with said high school boyfriend on Thanksgiving Eve.
28. Leftover turkey coma, Day Two.
See? It's just not a holiday that's conducive to sex or romance. And do not suggest spicing it up with some sort of tacky Pilgrim and Native American reenactment.
More from Glamour: 30 sex tips every woman should consider
But, sexy or not, I'm more than thankful for an excuse to spend time with my loved ones. And by loved ones, I mean my friends, my family and my mashed potatoes.
What are your Thanksgiving plans this year? What other unsexy aspects of this delicious holiday did I forget?
Photo: Noel Hendrickson/Getty Images
Well who wants to play football or even watch it in a dress? Personally I like to be comfy and don't feel the need to impress anyone. I want to enjoy my family and ALL the great food. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE AND GOD BLESS.
i didn't kow any holiday was sexy.
is this an intern covering for the regular guy?
beauty tips and style advice
Sunglasses: it may seem counterintuitive to invest in a wintertime accessory traditionally viewed as a sunny, warm-weather item. But spring is on the way and we’re also currently being exposed to crazy amounts of UV rays—and then, of course, there’s the reflective snow situation.
Some people look younger than they are, some look older. Even those with easy access to BOTOX and personal trainers. Can you guess the age of these celebrities?
Did anyone else hear wedding bells on the Oscars red carpet last night?
Then after the show, er, Oscars, it's the after party. Then after the party, it's the... Best Dressed List, of course. Nikki already picked her tops for the Academy Awards red carpet (did you vote yet?), so now it's time to see what the stars wore to the post-celebrations.
As I continue my personal campaign to swap out E!'s mani cam with a back-of-updo cam (and as a service to all the hardworking hairstylists who spent so much time creating beautiful hair looks for the 2014 Oscars), I'd like to point out that we miss a lot of gorgeous detail when we don't get the back view of a star's hair.
The bold new trend on the Oscars red carpet.
Trying new hairstyles is fun (have you picked up Allure Hair: The Ultimate How-To Hair Guide yet?).
When someone says “Julia Roberts,” you think teeth. You think hair. But while you may not immediately think fashion, she has had a pretty consistent—and consistently pretty—style since her Mystic Pizza days: clean, classic, menswear-inspired looks that let her natural beauty—and rightly famous smile—take center stage. Here’s how she has elevated that look over the years.
Lupita Nyong’o shows off the power of the pixie on the Oscars red carpet.
Walk a mile in a pair of SJP’s stilettos? Well yes, we’d love to; thank you for asking.
Anti-aging doesn't have to take over your life. Here, expert tweaks to slow the clock.
We’re at the tail end of a jam-packed awards season, with the grand finale—the Oscars, duh—just a few days away. We can’t wait to see what our favorite nominees wear—we already know Jennifer Lawrence will step out in a breathtaking Dior, while we hope to see Lupita Nyong’o pick another brilliantly bold monochromatic gown. As for which designer she’ll select—Gucci? Ralph Lauren?—that’s anyone’s guess.