Beauty 101: How to Apply BronzerMakeup artist Mally Roncal’s simple steps for a natural-looking glow.
- Fair skin: Look for a bronzer that's tan or honeycolored. Mally Roncal Believable Bronzer in Sexy Golden Tan is a palette that also includes blush and shimmering powder. Jane Bronzing Powder in Sahara is oil-free; the ultra-sheer Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzing Powder (1) adds just a hint of color (mallybeauty.com; janecosmetics.com; toofaced.com).
- Medium skin: A medium brown or terra-cotta bronzer is ideal. Try Clinique True Bronze Powder in Sunblushed (2) or Rimmel London Natural Bronzer in Sun Bronze. If you prefer a loose powder, go with Guerlain Terracotta Mineral Flawless Bronzing Powder in No. 02 (clinique.com; rimmellondon.com; guerlain.com).
- Dark skin: Roncal likes to sweep a deep, coppery shade under the cheekbones for contour, then dust a bright magenta blush on the apples of the cheeks. Try Cover Girl Queen Collection Natural Hue Minerals Bronzer in Ebony Bronze (3) (covergirl.com).
- Tinted moisturizer: For deeper color on any skin tone, pick a tinted moisturizer that's a shade darker than your natural color and smooth it all over your face and neck before applying bronzer. We like Physicians Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer and Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 (physiciansformula.com; smashbox.com).
- A blush brush, such as the one by Estée Lauder, is the perfect size for applying bronzer(esteelauder.com).
- Powder blush is easier to blend over powder bronzer than a cream formula. Try Mally Beauty Blush in Mally's Baby or Revlon Powder Blush in Everything's Rosy (mallybeauty.com; revlon.com).
- A light gold or bronze shadow adds just enough color to look fresh. Try Wet n Wild Crème Eye Shadow Pencil in Pixie or Urban Decay Cream Shadow in Suburbia (Wet n Wild, wnwbeauty.com; urbandecay.com).
- Black eyeliner can look harsh with bronzed skin, so go with a brown pencil instead, such as Lancôme Le Crayon Khôl in Black Coffee (lancome-usa.com).
- A sheer nude or soft pink lip color works on all skin tones. We like Dior Addict Ultra Gloss in Trenchcoat Beige and Max Factor Vivid Impact Pure Pigment Lipcolor in Pink Pearl (dior.com; maxfactor.com).
- Choose a highlighter that's close to your natural skin tone. A champagne shade, such as The Body Shop Brush On Radiance Powder (on reverse), works well on pale skin. For medium skin, go with a golden hue, such as Edward Bess All Over Seduction in Afterglow; on dark skin, use a coppery color, such as Black Radiance Velvet & Glow in Urban Chic (thebodyshop.com; edwardbess.com; blackradiancebeauty.com).
Tricks of the Trade
- To ensure that you don't go overboard with bronzer, apply it while standing in natural light. An effective (though slightly obsessive) way to check your work is to take a digital picture of your face. The photo will show where you've applied too much color.
- If the shade of bronze looks too dark or heavy on your skin, dip a clean powder brush in loose translucent powder, tap most of it off, and lightly swirl the brush over the bronzer to soften it.
- Do not use peach blush with bronzer -- it can make the golden tones in the bronzer look orange.
- Adding a little highlighter looks pretty for evening. Blend a powder or cream highlighter along your cheekbones, then dab just the tiniest bit on your brow bones and the tip of your nose.
- If you want deeper color, don't sweep bronzer all over your face -- the result looks unnaturally flat. Instead, use a tinted moisturizer or gel first. Smooth it on your face and neck, and blend away any obvious lines near your ears and on your jawline and hairline with a damp makeup sponge. Apply your powder bronzer as usual.
hair tips & beauty advice
Beachy waves, soft strands—you can have the dream locks you've always wanted.
Our top picks for brushes, glosses, concealers and beyond.
Dramatize your lashes with these fab buys.
Models may be pros at walking with authority, wearing clothes well, and looking good doing practically anything—but if there is one thing that exceeds their fashion prowess, it’s their command of the world’s best beauty products. Backstage each season and on set throughout the year, they road test a mind-boggling assortment of mascaras, foundations, hairsprays, and more. Between having their hair teased within an inch of its life, their makeup applied and reapplied a dozen times in a day, and their skin pushed to its absolute limits, it’s safe to say they’ve figured out which are the most gentle, effective, and transformative formulas on the market. From the world’s sexiest (and most healing) lip balm to the original French pharmacy face cream, here are ten beauty products you can find in almost every model’s medicine cabinet.
One of the best things about nail art, besides the gazillian likes on your #ManicureMonday post, is experimenting with different looks and designs. With these pro secrets, including celeb nail artist Miss Pop's top tricks, you can create salon-worthy nail art at home!
The newest nail polish colors for fall are so awesome, you'll be wishing #ManicureMonday was every day of the week.
Hey, you want to look more handsome than you already are, don't you? Sure, who doesn't—handsome wins you women, better customer service and because we live in a sick, sad, superficial world, even a higher salary. And thanks to this list, now being handsome is easier than ever. There's expert advice, common sense pointers, and even a couple of tips to help you beat bad, ugly, un-handsome habits. But don't waste your time reading this intro, become more handsome right now.
From cut and color to style, six expert hairstylists give you the scoop on back-to-school's freshest looks.
Skip the blow-dryer and keep your style effortless. Here, the secrets for gorgeous air-dried hair—straight, wavy or curly—from the man behind Gisele’s coveted waves, Harry Josh, John Frieda international creative consultant.
Ask pretty much any celebrity hairstylist, and they’ll tell you the long bob (a.k.a. the lob) is the chicest haircut of 2014. In addition to throwing around the word “cool” at least twice, they’ll also say it’s because the lob is versatile, easy to style, and timeless. Check out our seven favorite ways to wear it.
We’re living in the age of the selfie. This year, the word was officially added to the dictionary (we even got variations, like “belfie”—we’ll let you Google that one); the entire Obama family got in on the act; and a major TV network added a show called Selfie to its fall lineup. Oh, and you didn’t even have to watch this year’s Oscars to know that the biggest winner of all was not a film, but in fact the selfie. So it’s about time you learn how to take a really, really good one.
Women can be sexy and smart and successful-- all at once.