The 10 Worst Wedding Toasts EverAh, the wedding toast. A time for reflecting upon the nature of love and singing the praises of the bride and groom. Or not. True stories of reception toasts gone awry.
The wedding toast is a chance for the bride's and groom's closest family members and friends to express their joy for the couple, share a funny story or two, and impart words of wisdom. Sometimes, though, nerves, alcohol, or a not-so-secret disapproval of the matrimony leads to a speech that leaves everyone aghast. Here are real wedding toasts that made guests want to cower under their chairs rather than raise their glasses.
1. "At a friend's wedding a few years ago, the best man made it apparent that he wasn't such a fan of the bride. The speech went something like this: '(Groom's name), man I love ya, you know I do. I hope you thought about this and that this is what you really, really, really want.' Then he said the bride's name, hit his fist against his chest twice, and pointed at her."
2. "A friend of mine from college got married, and his best man said in his speech: 'Finally John has found someone with low enough self-esteem to marry him.'"
3. "The maid of honor (the bride's sister) not only talked about herself during the whole speech, she also mentioned the possibility of an affair between herself and her sister's new husband."
4. "At my cousin's wedding, the best man ended his toast by saying he wanted the groom to know that he'd be there for him at his next wedding when this one didn't work out."
5. "The best man at a wedding I was in said during his toast, 'Congratulations to the new parents!' No one except a select few knew the bride was pregnant -- not even her parents!"
6. "I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the best man gave a toast about how cheap the groom was and how they'd been friends all their lives but the wedding was the first free meal he's ever been offered by the 'cheapskate.'"
7. "The father of the bride stood up and said, 'I'm Jill's dad. I just want to say that I met David before Jill did because of my other daughter.' And he sat down."
8. "My cousin gave a horrible toast at her younger sister's wedding a few years ago. She began by saying that she never liked her sister's new husband throughout high school and that 'today he's still at the level of slightly below the scum on the bottom of a dirty waste pond.'"
9. "I attended a wedding where the best man commented on how the bride used to work at Hooters (which her family didn't know about) and how he was jealous of the groom for 'bagging her.'"
10. "During the toast the groom's dad (after many drinks) said that he was so happy for his son and his beautiful wife Sara. But his wife's name wasn't Sara, his ex-girlfriend's was."
weddings: creating your perfect day
Maggie Reyes is a life coach, writer, and the founder of ModernMarried.com. She helps newlyweds re-think what married life can be. Here, she’s revealing tricks every newlywed couple needs to know.
Government-supported Vietnamese classes teach women Korean language, customs.
Sometimes two characters on a TV show or movie can portray being a happy couple effortlessly, or can have lots of fun playing former spouses — especially if they're married to each other in real life! Keep scrolling for six celebrity costars you probably didn't know tied the knot, even after the bloodiest and craziest story lines.
Some couples want nothing more than a laid-back, by-the-book proposal. Then there are the other couples, where the proposal not only needs to be personalized, it also has to be unique and entirely different than the typical restaurant, bended-knee idea. Sound like you? Then get inspired by some of the most creative proposal ideas we’ve ever seen. If you find something you like, steal it and then modify it to make your proposal something totally unforgettable.
From Nantucket all the way to Cayo Espanto, we've rounded up some of the prettiest beaches to travel to for your honeymoon.
Want to keep your wedding budget in check? Start by checking out this list of the 10 things that could end up costing you a lot more than you anticipated.
The proposal-filled site How He Asked has shared its top 10 most emotional proposal photos with us, so have your tissues handy. We're suckers for a good proposal story, and these ones are truly tear-worthy. Check them out now, and watch your heart grow (at least) three sizes!
How to do weddings: Yet another foreign (and expensive) aspect of adulthood that you have to learn the hard way. But have no fear! Click through for some must-have wedding tips.
Don’t panic: It's not necessarily a bad thing to have pre-wedding jitters.
As part of the 2014 Brides Best Honeymoon awards, we’re counting down the best places for newlyweds to stay in the Mainland U.S. From luxe resorts in the Napa Valley to hotel oases in the Sedona Desert, you’re guaranteed a memorable stay no matter which resort you choose.
These are the conversations all betrothed coupled should take the time to have before they get hitched.
Etta James is No. 1 on Spotify ranking.