6 Tips for Making the First MoveHere are 6 tips for asking out a match and successfully making the move from online to offline.
Chemistry doesn't happen online. So cut the small talk, emoticons, and get straight to the date. Sometimes (actually a lot of times), that means making the first move. Guys assume (pretty accurately) that girls like to take it slow online. So most guys won't ask you out as soon as the thought crosses their minds. And let's face it, if a guy messages you, he's pretty much game for sleeping with you. So he'd probably be up for a cup of coffee. In other words, you've got nothing to lose by making the first move -- except all those hours you'd otherwise be spending in front of the computer instead of out on fun dates. Here are some date ideas he'll love.
1. Talk for a bit, first. While you don't want to chat for a month before meeting in person, don't make your very first message a date invitation. After all, you don't want to look like you're desperate -- because you're not! Aim for shooting a few messages back and forth before you make your move.
More from Woman's Health: Speaking of messages, remember the rule of three: Make Plans or Move On
2. Calm down. Online, the pressure is off. You can write -- and rewrite -- the message as many times as you want. And you don't have to see the guy's face when he receives your date proposition by email. Remember back in the day when you passed your crush a note that said "Do you want to go out? Circle yes or no?" It's like that, but less traumatizing than when everyone in the class was watching.
3. Keep it casual. All you really have to say is, "Want to get coffee sometime?" Easy peasy. (Tip: refrain from saying "meet up" or "get together," especially if you're leery of booty-call miscommunications.)
More from Women's Health: The Average Woman on Dating: See How You Compare
4. Work it in. To your conversation, that is. Have you been chatting about your mutual love of ice cream? Suggest you go to your favorite ice cream shop. You know he'll like it, after all. Has he asked what you're doing this weekend? Ask him to join you Sunday for brunch. The key is not to come out of left field.
More from Women's Health: Dating Mistakes Women Make
5. Be patient. If you don't get a response right away, give it some time before you send him a (short!) follow-up message. Many people are on online dating sites because they are, in fact, busy. Pestering a stranger online will just scare off just about anyone.
More from Women's Health: 9 Things Guys Will Never Tell You
6. Shake it off. If you don't hear back, oh well. The date probably wouldn't have gone that well, anyway. And you didn't have to invest time figuring that out.
More from Women's Health: Plan ahead: Best and Worst Date Foods
love: friendships, dating, sex & marriage
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie finally took the plunge, but marriage isn't always a good choice for everyone.
Learn how these surprising tactics can really improve your relationship.
Use these tips to up your chances of finding love.
Find out how paired-off ladies might feel lacking—and how you can make your relationship satisfying.
These signals are seriously subtle, but they can give you real insight into what's going through your husband's mind.
Check which changes are necessary to stay happy together.
We know some of this may sound obvious, but these simple statements can make both of you happier.
Making your relationship more secure, connected, and intimate doesn’t have to feel overwhelming. Try these expert tips and reap the rewards now—and in the long run.
For those times when nothing big and horrible happened--but nothing is feeling right either.
What's more fun than animals in weddings? We've rounded up eight of the cutest.
Your puppy is all over your Instagram, Facebook and fridge, so there's no reason not to include him in your engagement pictures too. The best engagement photos give viewers a peek into your life. If you’re a dog owner, take this opportunity to show off your pooch, like these 22 couples did! And we can't thank them enough.
Our married blogger gets real about checking out other guys when you're taken.