The Supermoon of Cinco de Mayo
In celebration of the May 5th Supermoon, here are some super Moon facts.
- The Moon used to rotate relative to Earth, but over billions of years our gravity slowed it down. Now it rotates slowly on its axis in sync with our own rotation but in the opposite direction, which makes the Moon appear to be in a fixed position. Only about 60% of the Moon’s surface — the side with the Man on the Moon and his badly cratered complexion — ever faces us. But there isn’t really a “dark side of the moon” since the sun does rise on the far side we don’t see.
- Buzz Aldrin, the second of only 12 men ever to walk on the Moon, has struggled with depression, a condition to which he is genetically predisposed; both his mother and his grandfather took their own lives. His mother’s maiden name: Marion Moon.
- The moon experiences earthquakes which astronomers can detect from Earth.
- The root of the word lunatic comes from luna, the Latin for moon. Centuries ago it was believed that periodic insanity was caused by changing phases of the moon. The same root is borrowed for the slang loony (though Bugs, Daffy and friends spell their cartoon series Looney Tunes, with an extra “e”).
- Does the Moon really make us loony? Though many hospital workers and first responders have noted the “Transylvania effect” of a full Moon, there’s little scientific data supporting the idea that moon phases are related to stats for violent behavior. But a study back in 2000 did find that during full-Moon phases, the condition of a group of patients with schizophrenia notably deteriorated.
- Michael Jackson debuted his moonwalk dance step on March 25, 1983.
- Maternity ward nurses have long claimed that new deliveries cluster around full-Moon phases, and in 1997 an Italian study lent credence to the claim. If the Moon can pull on the oceans, it seems we should expect some effect on our own bodies since they’re made up of about 70% water.
- Another study found that animals tend to bite people more during a full Moon. Werewolves get especially testy.
Photo: Dag Sundberg/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images
Wow...I'm in California, it's9:40pm the moon looks so radiant and beautiful, just like in Bruce Allmighty. God is really out there!!!
i heard women are more horny during full moons , does this mean the ladies are going to be reallllly horny ?
just out and caught it between cloud cover. didn't seem so great to me. not that big/bigger than normal.
inspire: live a better life
Happify shares their results of a recent study on how money affects our happiness.
A top exec reveals the company's secret code
Pro tips from the guy who's done it four times
Not all mistakes are as blatant as posting party pics when you're 'sick' at home.
Everyone struggles through weekday drudgery to reach their weekend fun. But what if you could reclaim every day of your life?
Zooming up the ladder is great, but questioning yourself 24/7 is no way to succeed. Manage your stressed self with these surefire tips.
Forget trying to control every little detail. Life is lots more fun (and less stressful) when you let go from the get-go.
So, what exactly is this thing we call "happiness" and how do we get it?
Mark Zuckerberg has an even bigger effect on your life than you thought.
Everyone makes mistakes, but some mistakes can be devastating. Here are 10 icons who fell from grace, and what they can do to redeem themselves.
Twitter turns eight years old today.
Try these anything-but-ordinary ideas for a healthier, more productive mid-day break.