The Supermoon of Cinco de Mayo
In celebration of the May 5th Supermoon, here are some super Moon facts.
- The Moon used to rotate relative to Earth, but over billions of years our gravity slowed it down. Now it rotates slowly on its axis in sync with our own rotation but in the opposite direction, which makes the Moon appear to be in a fixed position. Only about 60% of the Moon’s surface — the side with the Man on the Moon and his badly cratered complexion — ever faces us. But there isn’t really a “dark side of the moon” since the sun does rise on the far side we don’t see.
- Buzz Aldrin, the second of only 12 men ever to walk on the Moon, has struggled with depression, a condition to which he is genetically predisposed; both his mother and his grandfather took their own lives. His mother’s maiden name: Marion Moon.
- The moon experiences earthquakes which astronomers can detect from Earth.
- The root of the word lunatic comes from luna, the Latin for moon. Centuries ago it was believed that periodic insanity was caused by changing phases of the moon. The same root is borrowed for the slang loony (though Bugs, Daffy and friends spell their cartoon series Looney Tunes, with an extra “e”).
- Does the Moon really make us loony? Though many hospital workers and first responders have noted the “Transylvania effect” of a full Moon, there’s little scientific data supporting the idea that moon phases are related to stats for violent behavior. But a study back in 2000 did find that during full-Moon phases, the condition of a group of patients with schizophrenia notably deteriorated.
- Michael Jackson debuted his moonwalk dance step on March 25, 1983.
- Maternity ward nurses have long claimed that new deliveries cluster around full-Moon phases, and in 1997 an Italian study lent credence to the claim. If the Moon can pull on the oceans, it seems we should expect some effect on our own bodies since they’re made up of about 70% water.
- Another study found that animals tend to bite people more during a full Moon. Werewolves get especially testy.
Photo: Dag Sundberg/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images
Wow...I'm in California, it's9:40pm the moon looks so radiant and beautiful, just like in Bruce Allmighty. God is really out there!!!
i heard women are more horny during full moons , does this mean the ladies are going to be reallllly horny ?
just out and caught it between cloud cover. didn't seem so great to me. not that big/bigger than normal.
inspire: live a better life
Become a master of your own fate and maximize your happiness with a few easy tweaks.
Sure, you realize that your daily lattes aren't exactly necessities. But once you discover what they, and other regular purchases, add up to, you'll realize it's time to think twice about shelling out. Trim the fat from your budget with these expert tips for saving big.
When you stumble upon an unflattering photo of yourself, you can make excuses for it, or you can change your ways.
For those who would rather pay it forward, proceeds from this gift guide go to deserving charities — and these presents happen to be pretty fabulous as well. Plus, shop more gifts for stylish women.
Miss Manners considers when to celebrate milestones
Miss Manners provides guidance on meeting others
No, money doesn't grow on Christmas trees, but you can green up your holiday with readers' savviest money-saving tips.
A look back on all of the tiny tasks that 30 years of technology has saved you from.
What sets you apart from everyone else looking for a new job or bigger paycheck? Your profile!
With all those deals you snagged on Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday, today is your chance to give back to those in need with #GivingTuesday.
Miss Manners provides guidance on how to handle a request for party contributions
Miss Manners instructs on why tit-for-tat never works