There's a first time for everything15 virgin moments, 15 chances to move into a whole new phase of your life.
2. Your first gray hair. You see Grandpa. She sees a distinguished-looking exception to the horde of brown-haired knuckleheads at the pub. No, you're not going to shag every shaggable woman you see, but you should understand by now that that's a blessing, not a curse.
3. Your first paycheck. It gave you a one-two combination punch from the invisible hand of capitalism, the first being that yes, taxes suck. The second: This is not nearly enough dough. Both fueled your ambition to earn more zeros. And still should.
4. The first time you fight the Man and win. Who knew that Tom over in the passport office had the power to renew yours on the spot? Goliath, when properly motivated, will cradle David in his big paw.
5. Your first wedding as a groomsman. You looked your best, the free booze flowed, and you had that genuine pang of hope that someday you'd find the woman of your dreams--and that she might just be that hot bridesmaid dancing to "Baby Got Back."
6. The first time you dump a girl. It took balls to walk away from free nooky. Maybe you're stronger than you think.
7. The first time you're picked last. First thought: I suck. Second: I'll show them. That mojo can last a lifetime.
8. The first time you encounter mechanical failure in bed. Laugh it off, reboot, and spend the next hour pleasing her. She'll remember it as your best performance ever.
9. Your first medical scare. Next time you're in the drive-thru or at the gym, remember that panic.
10. The first time you talk your way out of a ticket. It teaches you that most cops are just trying to avoid pulling your ass out of yet another bloody wreck, and makes you accelerate more attentively next time. You just don't know what might be around that corner, do you?
11. The first time you stay out all night and see the sunrise. Freedom. Hope. Endless possibilities. Attack every dawn with that mix of surprise, awe, and optimism.
12. The first time your 401(k) number surpasses your annual earnings. It means you'll be buying and not serving the latte at Starbucks in 2048.
13. The first time you walk away from an animal pleasure--the fourth pitcher, the available wench. It's an indication that your cerebral cortex has finally taken over from your lizard brain. Now you can pursue a life, rather than merely live it.
14. The first time you ask your kid for advice. He'll be more likely to take your counsel if he's also sharing, so give him some choice research projects: Find the next car, the right home-theater setup, the smart college.
15. The first time you realize that dropping a compliment can motivate change more effectively than issuing a command. The breadcrumb trail works better than the whiplash.
unleash your life
Instead of wishing winter away, we decided to celebrate it by showing breathtaking shots of the most beautiful lighthouses around the world. Yes, it’s still freezing outside but these picturesque towers light up snow-covered landscapes and provide spectacular views. Glass half-full, remember?
Here at Condé Nast Traveler, we have a hard time choosing between sun-kissed bodies of water and snow-capped mountain peaks. Thanks to these stunning alpine lakes—many located at 5,000 feet above sea level or more—we don’t have to.
Partly because we’re sick of this never-ending winter, and partly because we’re obsessed with Italy, we pulled together a list of Italy’s prettiest coastal towns. You’re welcome.
Even if you’re fed up with winter—the snow, the sleet, the shivering—the sheer natural beauty of these eye-popping glacier formations should warm your heart.
Islands are generally pretty gorgeous—they are islands after all. But the twelve that made it to the top of our reader ratings for the most scenic islands in the world are just crazy beautiful. See for yourself.
These hotels have thought of the most unique keys. From carved wood to embossed gold, some are such works of art, guests may be tempted to take them home.
This winter—filled with flight-cancelling snowstorms and polar vortexes—is seemingly never-ending. It’s got us thinking about packing up and moving to one of these perpetually warm and snow-free destinations.
Dubai may have that huge aquarium, and San Diego may have its famous zoo. But nothing beats seeing an animal face-to-face in the wild. Time to get up close and personal with nature’s finest.
The commander-in-chief checks in and out of rooms across the globe, but only a few stateside properties have made the White House staff repeat customers—check out these hotels fit for a president.
The Winter Olympics in Sochi are on everyone’s mind right now, but we’re taking a trip back through Winter Olympics of years past, thanks to these charming vintage photos.
On the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ official arrival in America, we’re retracing their steps—from New York to Miami—one screaming crowd and hotel room at a time.