Happiness Secrets: Feel-Good Tricks for Blah DaysNext time life leaves you in a foul, everything-sucks mood, employ these strategies to get an insta-lift.
1. Take an iPod time-out. Put in your ear buds, and lose yourself in your favorite tunes. A slower tempo will relax you, but music that’s heavy and throbbing will let you work through anger or annoyance so you can get those negative emotions out of your system quickly, explains Los Angeles psychologist Yvonne Thomas, PhD.
2. Slick on red lip gloss. Red lips exude confidence and sex appeal. The reaction you get from others will help replace your bad mood with sexy self-assuredness.
3. Crack up in front of your computer. It’s impossible to feel bad when you’re laughing, so download a video from funnyordie.com or collegehumor.com.
4. Switch on your desk lamp. Harsh overhead lighting can amplify stress and irritation, while a softer glow can help soothe you.
5. Surround yourself with yellow and orange. Studies show that people become more joyful in these warm, bright colors, explains Leatrice Eiseman, author of More Alive With Color, possibly because they remind us of the sun. If you don’t have a yellow or orange garment to wear, pick up flowers in these hues.
6. Visualize your happy place. Maybe it’s a tropical beach or your childhood bedroom. Whatever the location, close your eyes and conjure up the image. Changing your mind’s wallpaper to a place you adore will make you happy, says Thomas.
7. Have a quickie. If sex isn’t possible, reveling in the memory of a sack session also will flood your system with blissful sensations, says life coach Martha Beck, PhD, author of Finding Your Own North Star.
8. Put on clothes you look hot in. Every chick has something in her closet that nets her positive feedback from friends, coworkers, and random strangers. Change into it — even if it’s just a pair of sex-kittenish heels — and enjoy the ego boost.
9. Snack on citrus fruits. They can improve your mood, says psychologist Dale Atkins, PhD, author of Sanity Savers. And because they take time to peel, you’ll likely eat slowly and not end up pigging out.
10. Breathe away bad vibes. Inhale slowly and deeply for five seconds, then exhale for five. You’ll breathe yourself into a more affirmative mind-set, says Atkins.
11. Be a nature girl. Eat lunch in a park. Lie on the grass in your backyard and watch birds fly overhead. Exposure to the outdoors will lower your heart rate and defuse a pessimistic outlook, says Atkins.
your life, inspired
Here's some tips to get to happiness going forward in your life.
Happy summer solstice, the celestial event celebrating the longest day and shortest night of the year. Here are 9 summer solstice traditions:
Where in the world do you want to go? Somewhere unique? Any of the places described here are sure to make your next world-travel adventure truly memorable.
When you stumble upon an unflattering photo of yourself, you can make excuses for it, or you can change your ways.
There's nothing more satisfying than watching your cash reproduce. We found six easy ways to grow your savings, starting with as little as $70.
Considering booking a single ticket? Read this first.
The terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, were horrific, but many of the stories that have come out of that tragedy offer lasting hope and inspiration.
August 28 marks the 50 year anniversary of the March on Washington and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech. Those who were moved by the 1963 March on Washington share all the ways that moment has inspired them over the years.
People who are happiest and most successful have one key thing in common: If they take an emotional hit, they don't ball up in the fetal position and give up.
You don’t have to wait for Friendship Day, the first Sunday in August, to let your love for your friends inspire you to show them how much you appreciate them.
Instead of visiting your usual travel destination this summer, take your family on an inspirational trip. These 20 travel spots are big on fun and culture.
Lounging, learning, drinking — that pretty much sounds like the best girls trip of our lives. Wine-os, no matter where you live, or how far you'd like to go, we've got your vacation covered.