50 Kitchen Ideas from the Barefoot Contessa
2. Ina likes gutsy countertops, super-thick and dark. Ultra-durable CaesarStone in Raven adds a nice contrast to KraftMaid's Brookfield Maple cabinets in Dove White.
3. Keep the fridge close by. Here, the work space is bookended with Viking's Quiet Cool all-refrigerator and all-freezer (No. 10).
5. Put a shelf over the range for things used all the time — kosher salt, utensils.
6. Double your storage with cabinets on the stool side of the island for special-occasion items like Thanksgiving platters.
7. Long handles are easier to grab than small knobs.
8. Have enough stools so a whole group can sit at the counter. Buell stools by Robert Stilin.
9. Flour and sugar are always within reach in Crate and Barrel's two-gallon glass jars, next to the Cuisinart.
11. Control the lighting with dimmers. Ina can also direct it just where she wants it with Thomas P. Richmond's flexible lighting system.
12. Large-scale objects have more impact. Hurricanes from Bloom.
14. Clever use of space, and sponges dry out of sight.
16. Even the tallest pasta pot can fit under Kohler's HiRise faucet.