DIY window boxWhen it comes to window treatments, it doesn't get much classier than a tailored pelmet to both frame the space and conceal pesky curtain rods.
We were inspired to try our hand at making this DIY pelmet, after seeing this post on Little Green Notebook. But if you want see some handy step-by-step photos, check out Hi Sugarplum!'s take on the project.
What you'll need:
fabric, foam core, thin quilt batting, ribbon, Fabri-Tac glue, 5-Minute Epoxy by Devcon, duct tape, two lightweight L-brackets, straight edge/ruler, scissors, shears, X-acto knife, iron, two small C-clamps (all available at craft or hardware stores; see below for materials measurements)
- To determine size of pelmet, measure window, and eyeball about how wide, high, and deep you'd like pelmet to be. For our 60" high, 37" wide window, the pelmet was 16" high, 40" wide and 7" deep.
Bing: Window décor ideas
- Cut foam core to size. Use duct tape to hold pelmet pieces together; they should make a three-sided "bracket" shape. (Hint: If you can't find foam core large enough for window width, tape two pieces together. Reinforce along the interior with a third piece of foam core taped over seam.)
Video: How to install window blinds
- Cut enough quilt batting to cover the exterior of the pelmet plus 2 inches extra (to tuck around the edges) on all sides, and wrap it around front of pelmet. Secure it in place with duct tape on back.
- Cut enough fabric to cover pelmet plus 3 inches extra (to tuck around the edges) on all sides; wrap it around the front. Secure to back with more duct tape.
- Determine where you want to place ribbon (to make mitered corners like ours, fold and tuck ribbon to create right angle; press into shape with a hot iron; secure with dot of Fabri-Tac glue). Glue ribbon to pelmet; let dry.
- Epoxy, then screw two L-brackets to top interior of each pelmet side, so unattached bracket ends face in and are parallel to the top front of pelmet; clamp into place while glue dries. Add duct tape to secure brackets.
- Mount pelmet to wall just above the window; ours was about an inch above the top of the window frame.
fun & creative diy ideas for your home
Sure, you could shell out a lot of cash to completely renovate your place. Or you could use the basics of good design to get the job done. Here are 15 simple ideas that will instantly improve your home.
Inject some unexpected personality into your kitchen with these fun do-it-yourself cutting boards, canisters, and more—they're guaranteed to put a smile on your face, every day.
Amazingly creative and festive winter wreaths and door décor for the holiday season.
For the holiday season we bring you 19 amazing and festive décor ideas from Pinterest that are fun for the entire family.
Whether your tree at home is real or artificial, you'll find inspiration for decorating the centerpiece of your holiday home.
As the interior designers of beloved New York drinking establishments Smith & Mills and Five Leaves, Johnny McCormick and Alex Kravchuk dive into many a dumpster to create spaces that are both bang-on contemporary, yet straight from the past. Their chosen aesthetic—weathered and industrial but still comforting—springs from a shared obsession with salvaged materials. Kravchuk first got his hands dirty tinkering on motorcycles in his grandfather’s garage, while McCormick started out reupholstering old furniture as a child.
Give your Christmas tree a heartfelt touch of homemade with these fun and easy ornament craft ideas.Once you've made them, try one of our creative ideas for decorating with ornaments!
No matter where you put one, mirrors are an easy way to reflect light, make a space look bigger, and open up a room. Here are 10 decorating ideas for using them in your house.
Don't ditch your desk from fifth grade or that scrap of fabric. Put those old, outdated, random things to good use. All you need is a little DIY mojo and maybe a rainy weekend.
Update everything from furniture and mugs to floors and doors with a fresh coat of paint, in an unexpected color or pattern.
In a decorating rut? Try these simple and chic wall art ideas to personalize your home.