America’s top 20 sober schools revealed
Brigham Young takes the No. 1 spot on The Princeton Review’s list.
For some, this may call for a toast — as long as the toast doesn’t involve booze.
For the 16th straight year, Brigham Young University has topped The Princeton Review’s list of “stone-cold sober schools.”
MSN The Family Room: Top 20 party schools in the United States
“I guess you could say it’s our sweet 16th,” BYU media relations manager Todd Hollingshead joked.
On Monday, The Princeton Review released its 2014 edition of “The Best 378 Colleges.” The collection includes a list of the “Top 20 Sober Schools” in the United States. Wheaton College in Wheaton, Ill., ranked second, and College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Mo., ranked third. The California Institute of Technology and Xavier University of Louisiana also made the list.
MSN Living: 10 benefits of a college education
In the school’s Honor Code Statement, BYU students vow to “abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse.”
"We absolutely embrace it," Hollingshead says. "It’s a major reason why people choose to be here."
Check out The Princeton Review’s rankings for the Top 20 Sober Schools, below.
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
- U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
- Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.
- Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.
- U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
- Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- City University of New York-Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- City University of New York-City College, New York City
- City University of New York-Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.
- Mills College, Oakland, Calif.
- Agnes Scott College, Atlanta/Decatur, Ga.
- Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Mass.
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif.
- Simmons College, Boston
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.
- Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans
Photo: Brigham Young University / George Frey/Bloomberg via Getty Images
You obviously didn't visit Northwestern College in St. Paul, MN-- one of the best Christian colleges in the U.S. Billy Graham was a past president or director of the school back in the late 1950's.
News, stories, tips and laughs for moms & dads
You're cold-hearted? We'll take care of that for you...read on.
This kid despises poetry and he's not afraid to let you know.
I used to be one of those moms who thought, 'who on earth would bring their child to an event like that?' and then I had a son. Here's why you might become a convert, too.
Take a look at your house for these telltale signs that a cat is running the show.
Check out this list of requirements you should meet before getting a new puppy or adult dog.
Virtually everything you need to know about relationships, you learned in nursery school: Treat people as you want to be treated, clean up after yourself, and don’t be a know-it-all.
Here are our experts' best tips for how to be a positive role model for your kids so that they grow up healthy, strong and confident about the way they look.
Can you relate?
Much like their famous owners, these pooches live a fabulous life. Some are rescues, others purebred, but one thing is certain – these dogs play an important part in their famous parents' lives. Can you guess who owns each of these dogs?
We captured a frame-by-frame look just for you.
Two controversial science projects resembled weapons, school officials said.
Make the most of the summer with these family-oriented activities!