America’s top 20 sober schools revealed
Brigham Young takes the No. 1 spot on The Princeton Review’s list.
For some, this may call for a toast — as long as the toast doesn’t involve booze.
For the 16th straight year, Brigham Young University has topped The Princeton Review’s list of “stone-cold sober schools.”
MSN The Family Room: Top 20 party schools in the United States
“I guess you could say it’s our sweet 16th,” BYU media relations manager Todd Hollingshead joked.
On Monday, The Princeton Review released its 2014 edition of “The Best 378 Colleges.” The collection includes a list of the “Top 20 Sober Schools” in the United States. Wheaton College in Wheaton, Ill., ranked second, and College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Mo., ranked third. The California Institute of Technology and Xavier University of Louisiana also made the list.
MSN Living: 10 benefits of a college education
In the school’s Honor Code Statement, BYU students vow to “abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse.”
"We absolutely embrace it," Hollingshead says. "It’s a major reason why people choose to be here."
Check out The Princeton Review’s rankings for the Top 20 Sober Schools, below.
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
- U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
- Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.
- Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.
- U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
- Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- City University of New York-Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- City University of New York-City College, New York City
- City University of New York-Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.
- Mills College, Oakland, Calif.
- Agnes Scott College, Atlanta/Decatur, Ga.
- Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Mass.
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif.
- Simmons College, Boston
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.
- Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans
Photo: Brigham Young University / George Frey/Bloomberg via Getty Images
You obviously didn't visit Northwestern College in St. Paul, MN-- one of the best Christian colleges in the U.S. Billy Graham was a past president or director of the school back in the late 1950's.
News, stories, tips and laughs for moms & dads
Transform the fall vegetable into cool decor pieces.
Put together these creative, but simple, Halloween looks for your youngsters.
We know you’re documenting just about every move baby makes. (Do you even have any memory left on your phone? We didn’t think so.) These tips from professional photographers can help you perfect your pics.
These six on-trend ideas will make baby’s room your new favorite place to hang out.
Baby probably won’t remember his first birthday party, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go all out (after all, parents need to celebrate making it through this first year, right?). These fun, colorful themes take planning to the next level.
See what celebrities who had problems conceiving have to say.
You’ll be hearing a lot of advice and opinions. Some of it will be really helpful and some will be just plain wrong. Here are the most common things people say about babies that aren’t true.
A new dad finds an Epcot Center's worth of innovation after expecting none at all.
The dog days of summer may be well behind us, but that doesn't mean it's time to pack in the outdoor adventures quite yet.
Protect yourself and your family with these ingenious gizmos and smartphone apps.
Make sure your go-to gadgets are as cute as your style, with these trendy tech finds!
Oh, how the times have changed...