America’s top 20 sober schools revealed
Brigham Young takes the No. 1 spot on The Princeton Review’s list.
For some, this may call for a toast — as long as the toast doesn’t involve booze.
For the 16th straight year, Brigham Young University has topped The Princeton Review’s list of “stone-cold sober schools.”
MSN The Family Room: Top 20 party schools in the United States
“I guess you could say it’s our sweet 16th,” BYU media relations manager Todd Hollingshead joked.
On Monday, The Princeton Review released its 2014 edition of “The Best 378 Colleges.” The collection includes a list of the “Top 20 Sober Schools” in the United States. Wheaton College in Wheaton, Ill., ranked second, and College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Mo., ranked third. The California Institute of Technology and Xavier University of Louisiana also made the list.
MSN Living: 10 benefits of a college education
In the school’s Honor Code Statement, BYU students vow to “abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse.”
"We absolutely embrace it," Hollingshead says. "It’s a major reason why people choose to be here."
Check out The Princeton Review’s rankings for the Top 20 Sober Schools, below.
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
- U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
- Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.
- Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.
- U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
- Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- City University of New York-Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- City University of New York-City College, New York City
- City University of New York-Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.
- Mills College, Oakland, Calif.
- Agnes Scott College, Atlanta/Decatur, Ga.
- Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Mass.
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif.
- Simmons College, Boston
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.
- Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans
Photo: Brigham Young University / George Frey/Bloomberg via Getty Images
You obviously didn't visit Northwestern College in St. Paul, MN-- one of the best Christian colleges in the U.S. Billy Graham was a past president or director of the school back in the late 1950's.
News, stories, tips and laughs for moms & dads
A thrill-obsessed subculture claimed another life this week.
A few suggested answers for the diciest questions
Must-haves for every mommy on the road
Here's our list of fifteen moms in the food industry that deserve some recognition.
The site gets high marks for its user-friendly interface and excellent and responsive customer service. And the reviews are also pretty accurate. Compare amenities and prices next to a hotel's in the same area, and you're likely to see Airbnb come out on top.
We captured a frame-by-frame look just for you.
Other moms can be ruthless when it comes to picking apart your parenting choices. From dissing your decision to go back to work to criticizing when you started baby on solids, here are the most ridiculous comments moms have heard. Bonus, we’ve got just the right way to respond to the haters! You’re welcome.
Nope, you don’t have to spend the next nine months in black elastic-waist pants and oversize sweaters. And you don’t have to shell out a fortune on your “temporary” wardrobe either. Check out these stylish and affordable maternity clothes.
Because society crumbles without us
Another kid figured out how to get into a claw machine.
As a new mom, you’ve recently discovered there are many things you can live without—sleep and modesty being chief among them. But what can’t you live without? Seasoned moms share their Top 10 list for how to survive the early months of motherhood.
Here are our experts' best tips for how to be a positive role model for your kids so that they grow up healthy, strong and confident about the way they look.