How to stay sane when school's closed
Snow storm or holiday kept your kids out of school? There, there. Here's help.
Of course we love our kids. They make our worlds go 'round. That said, when school's out and you've got a million things to get done, it's a challenge for even the best, most Pinterest-y, crafty, patient, attentive parents on the planet.
Maybe you're a working parent trying to get your job done at home while your kids pepper you with nerf darts and questions about Pokémon character statistics.
Perhaps you're simply exhausted from playing 84 rounds of Mario Kart and your duties as a short order grilled cheese sous chef. You're a great parent. And you're irritated, burnt out, at your rope's end. We get it, frazzled moms and dads, and fret not - we bring you these ways to stay sane when their school is rude enough to close, whether for a holiday you didn't get off from work or an inconsiderate act of nature:
- Play the "How long can you stay quiet?" game. It's really fun. You get the kids upstairs into the playroom and you tell them that whichever one stays quiet and plays nicely the longest gets a prize. And that anyone that comes downstairs tattling is immediately disqualified.
- Bubble bath time. Get bath paints, bubble bath and a whole bunch of plastic cups and containers. Get into the bath. Make sure your kids aren't in the bathroom with you. Lock the door and tell your kids to go play hide 'n seek.
- Get out crayons and paper. Draw squiggly lines on them. Ask your kids to turn your scribbles into actual pictures and then have them guess each other's drawings.
- Drink. Drink a lot of wine. If that's not an option for you, eat. Eat a lot of Girl Scout cookies.
- Hand them your iPhone. Your Kindle. Your Surface. Your life's savings. Anything, really. Just hand them things.
- Get out a stack of your old high school yearbooks and have them vote on the funniest looking person on every page. Bonus points if they happen upon your old crushes. Take points away if they find you and your giant crimped hair-do and double polo shirt ensemble.
- Have them organize the junk drawer, their sock drawers, the shoe closet, the garage. If they tire, just go back to the 'How long can you stay quiet?' game. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Readers: Calling all mom bloggers – we’re looking for fresh voices on MSN Living. Email us your samples and contact info!
family: tips, trends & advice for all things family
Kids and water parks go together like macaroni and cheese. Check out our top picks for your next wet and wild vacation.
We got new dads to dish on what they wish their partners knew. So, listen up, mamas!
Are you really ready to be a parent, or should you stick with a houseplant? Find out before you TTC.
With all the glitz and glamour that comes out of Tinseltown (not to mention the endless tabloid fodder), it's not always obvious that many celebrities are animal lovers, too.
From designer crosses to giant breeds, we scoured Vetstreet's data of millions of dog breeds to determine the trendiest breeds of the past decade.
One of the most unsettling consequences of bringing a child into your previously simple, happily oblivious manly life is that you’re now unquestionably, inescapably…The Man.
Whether it was baby’s first kick or the first time your boobs leaked in public, there’s a point in every mom’s life when the world as you know it ends and you realize -- Whoa, I'm someone's mom now. Some of our favorite mommy bloggers revealed what their aha moments were. They range from heartwarming to completely hilarious.
From DIY jewelry to homemade “flowers” to sweet vases, you can help your kid make mom’s day with these crafty gifts.
The first parenting shock: They let you take the baby home. Like, without supervision. Only then do the real surprises unfold. Here's what readers told us was most unexpected for them as they embraced this whole mama thing.
Be prepared to say, 'awww,' multiple times while flipping through this collection super-sweet stuff for babies and kids on Etsy.com. Take a peek at some of our favorite finds for moms (and click 'More' to find out how to get this amazing gnome hat!)...By MSN Living editors
Your Mother’s Day plans are all set, right? Brunch is booked and a fabulous gift is wrapped and ready to go. So take a breather and celebrate these stylish celebrity moms who work hard, care for their kids, and manage to look amazing in the process.
Find out this year’s top baby names on Parenting.com, and see what we predict will be big in 2013