A foster dog earned herself a forever home when she alerted the sleeping family she was staying with to high levels of carbon monoxide in their Utah apartment.
While trying to find the right dog for her legally blind daughter, Chahela, Tonya Ostrander had taken in Snowy, a Chihuahua mix.
One night last week, Snowy, who was sleeping in Chahela's room, started "barking and barking and barking. Woke us both up" at about 2:30 a.m., said Tonya Ostrander.
She and her daughter both felt sick and realized something was wrong, so they got to the hospital right away. Their carbon monoxide levels were high, but thanks to Snowy, they were able to recover.
"If she hadn't had woken us up then things would have been real bad. We could have just slept right through it and maybe died," Ostrander said.
The mother and daughter thanked Snowy by making her a permanent part of their family.
Photo: ABC 4 // Snowy now has a permanent home with the Ostranders.
pics, advice, info and stories for pet lovers
267 veterinary professionals offered up their picks for the Most Athletic, Biggest Flirt and other popular high school categories.
BarkBuddy helps match prospective doggie-adopters with potential pets.
It's all calm and quiet around your house until one of these visitors appears.
Are you a cat owner? Are you sure about that? Who caters to her resident feline's every need? Who dotes upon her demanding little dictator? Who can be put in her place with just one look of disdain from the kitty in the corner?
Dogs might not seem as mysterious as cats, but canines do have their fair share of behaviors that are truly baffling.
In some households pets are allowed everywhere, all the time. In others, pets aren't allowed on any furniture, ever. But in many, the answer lies somewhere in between.