What my 'family rules' sign should sayYou know those aspirational home décor signs that show up in Pottery Barn catalogs and all over Etsy? Well, let's get real, people...here's what they should really say
They're EVERYwhere: those 'family signs' that people hang in their homes. They're totally adorable and full of inspirational family 'rules' for a happy home. They look something like this:
They're super cute. And nice. I'd like one for my house. But I've realized that mine would need to be slightly more realistic because I've got kids, see, and a full-time job, and pets, and I'm just not that perfect. Here's what mine would read:
- I'll try not to Yell At You when we have 3 minutes to get out the door to catch the school bus and your homework isn't done and I can't find my keys
- Enjoy Mealtime. And yes, sometimes Nutella toast is a perfectly balanced dinner option
- Go Outside and Play. And by that, I don't mean play a video game about being outside
More from dynamom: Dear fellow parents, why babies and restaurants don't mix
- Find your overdue library books By Yourself (they are probably still in the car from when we checked them out 6 weeks ago)
- Look at Each Other. Put the phone down. Stop texting so much. This goes for Mom, too.
- Have Fun Together, unless you want to play with monster trucks again, in which case, Have Lots Of Fun Playing Trucks By Yourself While I Read My Book
- I don't want to do your laundry anymore but I do, so please Hug Me Often
More from dynamom: In praise of the $17 haircut
- Kiss Each Other unless one of you just ate tuna fish
- You don't need this sign to know that I Love You, because you'll hear it from me all the time
What would yours say?
dynamom is lighting up the internet with a sensible flameless candle. Find more at her blog.
More from Mom to Mom:
Our faves: Must-reads for moms, by moms
If you, too, find yourself distracted by everything else in life and generally short-tempered and flustered, this piece is for you (in other words, for us all!)...
Other moms can be ruthless when it comes to picking apart your parenting choices. From dissing your decision to go back to work to criticizing when you started baby on solids, here are the most ridiculous comments moms have heard. Bonus, we’ve got just the right way to respond to the haters! You’re welcome.
Find yourself wandering the aisles, suddenly needing an owl-shaped candle while drinking a $5 latte? You're not alone, moms...
I used to be one of those moms who thought, 'who on earth would bring their child to an event like that?' and then I had a son. Here's why you might become a convert, too.
Not great with a budget? Don't sweat it. Try these simple ways to save.
Oh yes, they're doing THOSE things, alright...
It's not ok for strangers to judge your mothering while you're getting your latte. Can't we all just choose kindness?
1. If you throw something away because your child has not played with it in months, she will ask for it later that same day. That, and more TOTALLY TRUE things about parenthood...
What one mom learned about herself might just change your world
Maybe it's time...
The breastfeeding mom vs formula mom debate is always a hotbed of negativity. Maybe we're both just a little misunderstood.
Yep, you're older than you think