5 Easy Ways to go Eco-Friendly With BabyTake care of baby and the environment with our eco-friendly checklist.
- 10 hidden hazards in your home
- Q&A: Can odors from cleaning products harm my baby?
- Q&A: Cloth diapers vs. disposable diapers?
- Q&A: Creating an eco-friendly nursery?
- Q&A: How to be an eco-friendly parent?
1. Make your own baby food. (Wash your fruits and veggies, steam or boil, throw 'em in the blender, hit puree, strain, and serve!) Not your scene? Try organic store-bought versions. You'll find a ton of options from Gerber and Earth's Best on the shelves, or hit the freezer section for a frozen baby meal from Plum Organics or the Brooklyn-based Happy Baby. (Frozen baby foods may have more nutrients intact.)
2. Use non-toxic cleaners, and take measures to avoid contact. Dilute your chosen suds (non-toxic or not), give all surfaces a clean-water rinse after scrubbing, wash sponges and cloths thoroughly, and allow the area a few hours of ventilation.
3. Try an earth-friendly sling made of organic cotton and hemp. (Crops of hemp enrich the soil and decrease run-off.)
4. Buy toys made from organic fibers, wood, or other natural materials. Can't avoid the influx of plastics? Just be sure to donate them when baby's done -- many major hospitals accept used toys made of hard plastics.
5. As for the diaper: Cloth or disposable? It's a tricky question, and some moms are even getting fed up and going diaper-free! (We aren't so brave.) Check out gDiapers -- this new company makes a biodegradable, flushable insert that fits inside a breathable liner.
Become a fan of MSN Living on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for the latest updates on love, fashion, parenting, home decor & much more!
living green: your eco-friendly lifestyle
The nine markets featured here have devoted local fans -- from near and far -- making them a destination in their own right.
These exciting and comfortable designs from the new book Small Eco Houses show what's possible, and sustainable, in under 2,500 square feet.
Our favorite green baby gear products that look as good as they make you feel.
Energy-saving changes that will lower your bills and prove that you can live green without sacrificing style or comfort.
How to find non-toxic, water-based nail polishes in bright trendy colors, and the acetone-free nail polish remover you need for an odor- and chemical-free manicure or pedicure.
Great design and sustainable materials mean livable, stylish eco interiors. Also see green office furniture and green modular homes.
From the wacky to the practical, renting instead of buying can save you serious money, as well as benefit the environment.
Jessica Alba's interior decorator shares tips on keeping your house both safe and beautiful.
Discover simple ways to make greener decisions around the house, kitchen, and garden - all while saving money!
From a recycled plane to overturned boats and innovative solar projects, check out these radical house designs.
Who knew T.P. could exist without that cardboard tube? Read on for simple ways to protect the planet.
Simple tricks to go eco-chic.