11 Fun Things to Do on a Rainy Day
Have an Indoor Treasure Hunt
Make Your Own Bubble Bath
Create a Family Recipe Book
- Unlined journal
- recipe cards (the more sauce-splattered, the better)
- wine or Champagne labels
- photos from family meals
- photo corners
- shimmery alphabet stickers (available at crafts stores)
- Color-copy all recipe cards, photos, and labels if you want to preserve the originals or make more than one gift book.
- Compile the memorabilia by time period, holiday, or any other theme that inspires you.
- Affix the items horizontally in the journal. Use photo corners for pictures and recipe cards and adhesive for labels and clippings.
- Stick a title on the front of the journal with alphabet stickers (using a ruler helps), and finish off with a ribbon.
Camp in the Great Indoors
Invent a (No-Batteries) Game
Deep-Condition Your Hair
Bake Up Some Chocolate-Chip Cookies
Organize Your Own Film Festival
Hold a Mini-Marshmallow Popping Contest
- utility knife
- rubber bands
- tape (transparent, duct, masking, or colored)
- gift wrap or decorative paper
- kraft paper
- balloon, uninflated (1 per popper)
- paper cup, bottom cut off (1 per popper)
- mini marshmallows
- Knot the end of the balloon, then snip off ½ inch from the top.
- Stretch the balloon over the cutoff end of the cup so that the knot is in the center. (You'll need to hold the balloon in place when you "pop," or secure it with a rubber band for little hands.)
- Place a mini marshmallow into the cup so it fits snugly in the knotted center of the balloon. While aiming the cup away from you (and others), pull the knot back, release, and send the marshmallow soaring. See who can pop marshmallows the farthest or get the most into a bowl that's a few feet away.